Thursday, March 16, 2006

River Fog 1


Canon EOS 20D
Looking north into Detroit from the Queen's Dock Parkette, about 1 km west of the Ambassador Bridge, Monday, March 13, 2006, 10 a.m.
With the exception of the two years I lived in Montreal, I've lived within walking distance of the Detroit River all my life. I have never seen a low-lying fog like the one in this photo. Nothing even close. In fact, I'd never been in this part of Windsor (at the foot of Mill Street in the abandoned lands along Russell Street) before I turned in to get shots of this exceedingly rare river fog.
This was only minutes before a heavy thunderstorm hit. The fog rolled up the river from the west, like a tongue of smoke. It made the lanscape completely foreign, and stripped the colour out of everything. There's something disconcerting about not being able to see the far shore, yet the buuildings appear closer, and bookmatched.