Saturday, February 25, 2006

Frostproof Morning

Pentax K1000
Kodak Portra 400NC

This is the shot that had me thinking "photoblog" before I'd ever heard of "blog". Taken in February 2004, this is the frost on the inside of our bedroom window. Our home is 99 years old this year. The windows are original. When I pulled back the drapes at about 7 a.m., this is what I was looking at.

It's only happened one other time since, and it only happens on the eastern side of the house. I think it's caused by small amounts of codensation getting pushed along like a bead, by puffs of air that whistle through a single spot where the glass meets the frame. I have other shots which illustrate this better. The patterns on my office window in the adjacent room, are totally different.

It's good to be getting some of the K1000 shots up. I finally went through my back-catalogue and scanned in a bunch, spanning 2000-2004.

I found the 95mm lens that goes with the Canon EX Auto. It was on a shelf in Jen's closet, under a bunch of sweaters. My Dad bought this camera in the 70's. I don't think he even knows I have it. It's such a weird screw mount system, with the front and back elements of the modular lenses and fixed (body-mounted) lenses, coming together to complete the optical formula. And there is no aperture in the lenses. It's somewhere in the body.

I want to buy some good film and take the EX and the K1000 over to Detroit to shoot for a day--get some shots of Turkel House.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home