Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Press Conference

Canon EOS 20D

Things have been a bit on the moody side at glasspoeme. I love colour. Then why, you might ask, did I post this shot?

This image is so stark and lonely, yet it manages to suggest bright colour, high mood. I have no clue who the lone gentlemen is, himself a photographer. The tripod pointed at the unattended podium... or is that labial twist of polished rock making a funding announcement? Ontario's red ensign is a nice dash of colour--like a cardinal in the snow.

This was taken at about 2:30 this afternoon in the Rodzik Room at the Art Gallery of Windsor. Members of the press were milling about, waiting for the arrival of Laurel Broten, Ontario's Minister of the Environment. I was standing talking to one of my old Windsor Star friends, Dan Janisse, when I noticed this one guy just standing there, meditatively. The shot wrote itself.

It was unintentional, but I like the tension between the horizontal wide angle and the strong vertical lines. Very little cropping or photoshopping. There are several more from this series, some when the press conference is actually in progress. None, unfortunately, of Minister Broten's press secretary, Lindsay Mack.

Detroit can be seen in the background, across the Detroit River. When this room isn't set up for press conferences and functions, it has these very moderne green leather cube chairs that are just great for sitting in with a laptop, some headphones and a coffee and getting some writing done. I've spent many a serene hour in there.